Sunday, February 27, 2011

Baby & Bath Water

Shoot yourself in the foot.
Cut your nose off to spite your face.

You pick the metaphor. This is what breaking unions comes down to. Look, of course there are some issues with unions. I have friends and relatives who are managers and have their hands tied with union employees, unable to fire some people that need to be fired. I know there are corrupt union leaders just as there are corrupt CEOs. Perhaps it's time for some unions to step up and say, OK, we need to make some concessions in terms of how we operate. It is never time to break unions. I don't understand how we can agree to allow the existence of organizations such as WTO and simultaneously want to get rid of unions.

Unions are a sign of democracy. Thank you unions for the 40 hour work week, overtime pay, health care benefits, vacations (some of the shortest in the "developed" world by the way). Thank you unions for workplace safety. Thank you for so many things I don't even have to know about because they no longer exist because of union folks. I am not union, but thank you because I benefit from your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment